Sunday, June 10, 2007

We have all the time in the world

"It's cultural. In any eastern European countries, you will always see people on the streets... It's different than socializing in Canada. The cheapest way is to walk on the street, walk and talk. You meet everyone. You can finish many things [like that]." -Djenana Jalovcic

A Bosanska kafa (or Turkish coffee, served in a jezva) costs 50 cents. Everywhere I go, I am invited for coffee. After work, or anytime during the day, people meet friends on the streets.

I've met more people during my last ten days in Sarajevo than during the whole year in Montreal. It may be a euphemism, but it's not far from the truth.

It's a totally different way of structuring time, of interacting. A local Bosnian friend of mine told me that people work more when they need more money. When they don't need it, they don't work.

It's unbelievable how after surviving the war, hardships, confronting death everyday, how much life and friendliness live on in people's eyes. I don't feel like a stranger anymore. How could I, when every few steps, I am warmly, sincerely greeted and invited in for a conversation?

It's not that easy to speak directly about the war, but daily interactions with people show a strong yearning for peace, love, life.

The friend I mentioned earlier was playing soccer during the war and saw his friend shot by a sniper a few meters away from him. He was eight.

Yet I find so much kindness in these eyes, 15 years after they have witnessed murder...

Pictures: A coffee set; a craftsman with his daughter

No comments: