Sunday, April 27, 2008

From Istanbul wıth love

27 April, Istanbul, Day 1

A baptism by fire. In Istanbul, the city of thousands of years of history, culture and wonders.

My couchsurfing host was quite busy the day I arrived, so I headed out to the city on my own. There I had a different experience surfing: through people, that is. Istikal, the main street in Taksim, or new part of Istanbul, is gorged with people flowing back and forth.

Out of this sea of people emerges a tram that resembles a whale rising out of the water. The pedestrians make way nonchalantly. Music spills out of one shop more colorful than the other, drowning out the calls for prayer echoing through Istanbul’s hundreds of mosques. Istiklal pulsates with life, energy trickling from it into the perpendicular streets to it filled with cafés, Istanbulites smoking narghileh and mountains of fresh fish, fruit and sweets.

The city has embraced me, as a have embraced her. Chaotic, vibrant, delicious, old, new, conservative, flirty, religious, secular. Istanbul is all of that.

I tried to blend into the crowd of the city’s millions of inhabitants. Have the “I know where I’m going look on my face”. I walked down the hill to the Bosphorus on the Anatolian side, took the ferry to Beşiktaş as if I had done it all of my life, and caught a Dolmuş (collective taxi) that took me into Taksim, where I met up with Sinan, a couchsurfer I met in Dortmund.

On the menu: lamb kebap, local ice cream, narguileh, coffee at the faculty of law where Sinan studies, çaj, a view of the Bosphorus on a terrasse in one of Fransız street’s dozens of cafés. Already feels like home. I guess sometimes you just have to jump right into it, even if it's a bit scary.

No comments: