Friday, May 02, 2008

What are women born for? Not to provoke men?

People see what they want to see, Canan Arin replied to me when I told her lots of Europeans saw Turkey as a traditionalist, conservative country.

I feel like in most European cities here in Istanbul, except that I do get a few more stares from men. But I must say I was surprised by the "level of modernity" here. We really do tend to put Muslim heritage societies into one bag. However, Istanbul feels very secular, and I feel at home.

Canan Arin (photo: radikal.com) struck me as a beautiful and strong person the moment I met her. Wearing a colorful shirt, her eyes sparkling behind her glasses, she quickly ran out of her office to move her car as soon as I came in. Like most Istanbulites, she must deal with the city's notoriously thick traffic when driving to her office in Taksim.

I had time to look at all the eclectic paraphernalia in her office: clearly she had traveled the world. She is against "any injustice at birth" and that's what drives her in her fight for equality between women and men. She believes the headscarf to be a violation of human rights: if women are to cover their hair, their faces, to stay at home, then "what are we born for?" Arin asks. Not to provoke men?

Arin is a lawyer and a leading feminist here in Turkey. She co-founded many associations to combat violence against women, including the well-known women's shelter MorÇati- Purple Roof.

Arin is only one of the inspiring women I will speak with during my stay in Turkey. I was pleasantly surprised at how enthusiastically a well-known journalist, a researcher and Arin herself responded to my request for an interview.

I though it would be much more difficult. I thought there would be more no's and I'm-too-busy's.

I would like to dedicated a full article to Arin. She has been written about more than once, but her combat for the rights and equality of women is one that deserves many pages and much praise.

No comments: